The Garden District Historic District Is Designated

The Garden District Historic District has been protected by limited Historic District Landmarks Commission oversight since 2007.

The Historic District Landmarks Commission (HDLC) designated the Garden District Historic District in June 2007. In this district, which is bounded by Magazine, Josephine, Carondelet, and Delachaise streets, the HDLC oversees only new construction and proposed demolitions, and it has the power to cite property owners for poor maintenance.¹ The neighborhood was excluded from the possibility of HDLC jurisdiction in 1975, when the HDLC was formed by an act of state legislature, because a majority of residents were against it. However, in 2001, the next generation of Garden District residents chose to have the exemption removed from the legislation in favor of limited HDLC oversight.²

The Garden District was recognized for its architectural and cultural significance as early as 1972, when it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and again in 1974, when it was declared a National Historic Landmark. The area has been known as the “Garden District” since at least 1852 because of the neighborhood’s generously sized lots and landscaped gardens, which were in contrast to the dense townhouse living of the Vieux Carré and the American Sector (CBD).³  Today, its historic building stock is a mix of stately American-style residences, a variety of more modest homes, and dense commercial development along Magazine Street.

 

1. Dominique Hawkins and Catherine E. Barrier, “City of New Orleans Historic District Landmarks Commission: Garden District Historic District,” May 2011.

2. Shelley Landrieu (Garden District Association president), email to the author, February 9, 2015.

3. Hawkins and Barrier, “City of New Orleans Historic District Landmarks Commission: Garden District Historic District.”

__________________________________________________

For Further Research:

"Garden District Residents Seek Comission to Preserve Homes"

"Coffee Chain GIves Up On Site" The Times-Picayune, 8-28-1998.

Back to top