Fort Jackson is a decommissioned star-shaped fort located about seventy miles from New Orleans in Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana. At the recommendation of General Andrew Jackson, the brick masonry structure was built in 1822 on the west bank of the Mississippi River opposite the east bank’s existing Fort St. Philip in order to better protect the mouth of the river.¹ On April 28, 1862, after several days of battling Union troops, Confederate soldiers garrisoned at Fort Jackson staged a mutiny that allowed Admiral Farragut’s fleet to win the battle and continue upriver to seize New Orleans.² Use of the fort after the Civil War was intermittent, and eventually it was sold by the state of Louisiana to Mr. and Mrs. H. J. Harvey, who donated the property to the parish in 1960.³ In addition to receiving National Historic Landmark status in December 1960, the site was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1967.⁴ Following Hurricanes Katrina and Rita in 2005, the fort was underwater for over a month and continues to be in need of stabilization and repair.⁵ The fort itself is open to the public on weekdays and the surrounding park is open year round.
1. Louisiana Division of Historic Preservation, “Fort Jackson,” National Register of Historic Places, January 1, 1967.
2. Michael D. Pierson, Mutiny at Fort Jackson: The Untold Story of the Fall of New Orleans (The University of North Carolina Press, Chapel Hill, NC, 2008), 112-114.
3. Stewart E. Niles Sr., John C. DeArmas Jr., and Mrs. Joseph P. Sendker, Plaquemines Parish Fort Jackson (Belle Chasse, LA: Sendker Printing, 1967), 4.
4. Louisiana Division of Historic Preservation, “Fort Jackson.”
5. National Historic Landmarks Program, “Fort Jackson”; and Michelle Kimball, “Repairs to Fort Jackson in Plaquemines Parish: Seeking Public Comment,” blog.prcno.org.