Twenty-seven Mid-City blocks were cleared to make way for new medical center complexes, obliterating over a hundred historic buildings and scattering a recently rebuilt community.
The Irish Channel Historic District is characterized by dense concentrations of shotguns, cottages, and industrial riverfront structures.
The easternmost historic district in Orleans Parish, Holy Cross Historic District’s village-like feel distinguishes it from its more urban counterparts.
A museum since 1971, the Hermann-Grima House is an important antebellum example of American architectural influence in the Vieux Carré.
The Garden District Historic District has been protected by limited Historic District Landmarks Commission oversight since 2007.
A museum since 1971, Gallier House captures the Civil War–era lifestyle of one innovative nineteenth-century architect and his young family.
Built in 1808, historic Fort St. John remains in severe disrepair despite a years-long preservation campaign led by Margaret “Sunny” Schiro.
Since 1972, the Friends of the Cabildo has recorded hundreds of interviews with New Orleans citizens, including numerous members of the local preservation and history communities.
The Faubourg Marigny Historic District continues to battle threats to its historic integrity despite numerous protective measures.
Restored in the mid-twentieth century after decades of neglect, the Beauregard-Keyes House opened as a historic house museum in 1970 in honor of two of its notable inhabitants.