Exemplars & Testing of Legislation (1937 - 1966)

The 1850 House Museum Is Established

The Lower Pontalba Building’s 1850 House, one of the city’s oldest historic house museums, portrays a typical antebellum Creole residence at the height of the city’s prosperity.

Louisiana Landmarks Society Saves the Pitot House from Demolition

Thanks to the efforts of the Louisiana Landmarks Society, the Pitot House on Bayou St. John stands as one of the city’s few surviving examples of a Creole colonial plantation-style house.

North Rampart Street Is Removed from Vieux Carré Commission Jurisdiction

Scores of historic buildings were demolished after a 1946 city ordinance removed North Rampart Street from the protection of the Vieux Carré Commission.

Robert Moses’ Arterial Plan for New Orleans Is Published

New York planner Robert Moses devised a controversial plan for New Orleans’ growing traffic and transportation issues that continues to impact the city today.

Fort Jackson Is Designated a National Historic Landmark

Built in 1822 at the mouth of the Mississippi River, Fort Jackson earned National Historic Landmark status in 1960 and continues to be an important cultural site for the Plaquemines Parish community.

The First Issue of the Vieux Carré Courier Is Published

The Vieux Carré Courier focused on neighborhood social and preservation issues from 1961 until 1978, a time of constant threat to the city’s oldest historic district. 

Vieux Carré Property Owners, Residents and Associates, Inc. (VCPORA) is Incorporated

A non-profit neighborhood advocacy group, the Vieux Carré Property Owners, Residents and Associates, Inc. (VCPORA) has fought to protect the historic Vieux Carré neighborhood since 1938.

The Louisiana Landmarks Society is Organized

Founded in 1950, Louisiana Landmarks Society has played a central role in the protection of the city’s endangered landmarks for over sixty years.

Friends of the Cabildo is Incorporated

Since its incorporation in 1956, the non-profit Friends of the Cabildo has supported the programs and properties of the Louisiana State Museum and published the revolutionizing New Orleans Architecture Series, an essential first stop for local architectural research.

The Greater New Orleans Bridge and the Loss of the Delord-Sarpy House

The Delord-Sarpy House was considered to be the oldest remaining structure above Canal Street when it was demolished for an exit ramp for the new Greater New Orleans Bridge.

Back to top