Since Tulane University’s first drawing courses were offered in 1884, its architecture community has been instrumental in preserving New Orleans’ historic built environment.
In Orleans Parish and beyond, levee setbacks provided much-needed protection from river flooding but often resulted in the destruction of historic structures.
First organized to collect Confederate memorabilia after the Civil War, the Louisiana Historical Association was formally established in New Orleans in 1889.
In one of the city’s first preservation battles, citizens defeated a proposal to demolish two of New Orleans’ beloved historic landmarks.
The Beaux Arts–style Louisiana Supreme Court Building replaced an entire block of historic Vieux Carré buildings at a time when no legislation existed to protect them.