William Woodward. Old Ursuline Convent and Cottage, Chartres Street; 1929; oil crayon on board. 23 x 28 ¾ in. Private Collection. Robert Hinckley, William Woodward: American Impressionist (Jackson: University Press of Mississippi, 2011).
Rear view of the Pitot House during restoration, Spring 1966. Unidentified photographer. Pitot House Restoration. 1966. Louisiana Landmarks Society Records. Courtesy of the Southeastern Architectural Archive, Special Collections Division, Tulane University Libraries.
"Plan Projected for a Cooperation of Defense of the Mississippi with Ft. St. Philip.” Drawn by cartographer and draftsman Guillaume Tell Poussin, 1817. Ink and wash on paper. National Archives and Records Administration, Records of the Office of the Chief of Engineers/Wikimedia Commons.
Curtis's map of the Vieux Carré calls out the locations of significant historic buildings, including Madame John's Legacy, the Pontalba Buildings, and the French Opera House. N. C. Curtis, “The Creole Architecture of the Old South,” The Architectural Record XLVIII 5 (May 1918): 437.
The Thomas Sully–designed Isidore Newman House at 3607 St. Charles Avenue, 1894. New Orleans Chamber of Commerce, The City of New Orleans: The Book of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Louisiana and Other Public Bodies of the “Crescent City” (New Orleans: Geo. W. Englehardt, 1894), 41.
The mid-century apartment complex that replaced the Isidore Newman House, 3607 St. Charles Avenue. Courtesy of Clio Associates LLC.
The City of New Orleans financed the relocation of several historic buildings to vacant lots in other parts of town, but many of their roofs were removed and never replaced, allowing the structures to slowly deteriorate by neglect. Photograph by Brad Vogel.
The Thomas Sully–designed Durant-Duponte House at 3512 St. Charles Avenue, 1949. Tulane School of Architecture New Orleans Virtual Archive.
The commercial building that replaced the Durant-Duponte House, 3512 St. Charles Avenue. Courtesy of Clio Associates LLC.